Call for Proposals
Deadline: 1 June 2021
We are excited to announce that the GSA 2022 South-Central Section Meeting is planned as an in-person meeting to be held in McAllen, Texas, USA, at the heart of the Rio Grande Valley, on 14–15 March. McAllen, considered the South Pole of Texas, is served by a subtropical climate, with a rich, binational and cultural history and traditional cuisines, and is just an hour’s drive from South Padre Island. McAllen has a vibrant downtown with museums, restaurants, art galleries, and live music venues. The conference location is the brand-new Embassy Suites Hotel by the McAllen Convention Center, conveniently located at less than a 10-minute drive from the McAllen International airport (MFE), and within walking distance of many restaurants, shopping centers, and other hotels. McAllen is easily accessible by plane from Houston (United) or from Dallas (American).
Field trips, short courses, and the Welcoming Reception will be on Sunday 13 March, followed by technical sessions and events on Monday and Tuesday, 14 & 15 March.
We are seeking proposals for technical sessions (in-person, on-site only), and field trips and short courses (in-person or online). We encourage proposals from across all aspects of geoscience and education that speak to the theme of the meeting: “Geology has no borders.”
Proposal submissions must include:
- Title of Session/Field Trip/Short Course
- Principal Organizer (name, affiliation, and email)
- Co-organizers (names, affiliations, and emails)
- Preference for format (oral or poster) for technical session
- Preference for in-person or online format for field trip or short course
- A short description (50 words or less)
- More detailed information about the field trip or short course
- Any approved endorsements or sponsorships (e.g., a GSA Division)
- Any potential speakers that have been identified
Please contact the committee listed below with any questions.