Before You Arrive to the Annual Meeting
There’s a lot to look forward to before arriving at a GSA Annual Meeting. Please make sure you complete the following
steps before arriving:
- Submit an abstract. While presenting your research is not
a required it is highly encouraged.
- Register for the Annual Meeting. Instructions to register are included in your acceptance
letter. All short courses and field trips and some events require registration as space is limited. All students
must register by the early registration deadline.
- Make your travel arrangements. You are responsible for paying for all your costs up front. Check the
GSA Annual Meeting website for information on host hotels. This site also contains information on room sharing at the
meeting. If you seek additional funds to cover your costs, read through the
OTF Funding Guide
to help you identify other places to find support as well as a step-by-step guide to requesting funds.
- Request a mentor. Use the online mentor platform to create your profile and search and request a meeting mentor. This platform will open in July.
What to Expect at the Annual Meeting
There are many amazing opportunities for students to become engaged in the GSA Annual Meeting. We have organized five
special gatherings to help you get the very best experience from the Annual Meeting. We encourage you to plan your
meeting experience around these gatherings.
- OTF Gatherings
- Each morning, OTF scholars will gather to hear brief talks by key people about internship, research, and
other opportunities. See the On To the Future Schedule for a
list of required events.
- OTF Group Photo
- In the Exhibit Hall in the GSA Foundation booth area.
- Diversity in the Geosciences and OTF Alumni Reception
- Everyone is welcome at this reception where OTF scholars are recognized.
Before You Leave the Meeting
There are a couple of important things you must do before you leave the Annual Meeting.
- Check-In. All OTF scholars must
check in at the Annual Meeting office to confirm your mailing address.
- Complete an Evaluation. Make sure you complete the eTF Evaluation and let us know what you like
to see improved for the next cohort of students.
- Complete your OTF report.
- Thank your mentor.
For questions or concerns please contact Tahlia Bear, .