About On To the Future
The On To the Future (OTF) program supports 75 students and recent graduates from diverse communities to attend the Annual Meeting. OTF scholars receive partial travel funding, full meeting registration, and one-year membership. At the meeting students are paired in one-to-one mentorships, attend special sessions presented by GSA leadership that highlight special career-enhancing opportunities. More importantly, scholars receive the support needed from the broader geoscience community and their peers, reaffirming their identity as a scientist.
Initiated in 2013 by the GSA Diversity in the Geosciences Committee with strong support from the GSA President, Council, and Foundation, the program formed part of GSA's 125th celebrations. With funding from individual members and donors, corporate sponsors, and GSA’s Sections, Divisions and Associated Societies, OTF will continue to support underrepresented students to attend the GSA Annual Meeting.
On To the Future Facts
- Supported 647 students and recent graduates since 2013
- Average award is $516 with awards ranging from $50-$1,000
- 47% from groups underrepresented in the geosciences (American Indian/Alaska Native, African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander)
- 66% female, 73% first generation students, 9% veterans, 37% non-traditional students
- 60% undergraduate and 32% graduate students