Rocky Mountain Section Grants
The Rocky Mountain Section thanks the GSA Foundation for their support of our Programs.
Research Grants Student Travel
Undergraduate Student Research Grant
Proposal Deadline: 1 March
Policies & Award
Students and applications must meet the following criteria:
- This award is open to undergraduate Earth Science students who are currently enrolled in a B.S. or B.A degree
- Priority will be given to projects that involve the Rocky Mountain region (see boundaries).
- The student must be a student member of the Rocky Mountain Section of GSA.
Not Sure? Check your
Not a Member? Join
- The online application must be completed during the application period 15 January through 1 March.
Funding decisions will be announced 31 March with funds being mailed to successful applicants by
- Funded students are expected to expend the funds as stated in the proposal; return any unexpended funds to the
Section Secretary; submit a summary report. The final report will be a maximum of 500
words and should
explain how the RMS-GSA funds were used to successfully conduct the project. List any presentations or
publications resulting from the funded research. Please email the final report to the RMS GSA section
Secretary by March of the year following funding.
- Students who have received an award are strongly encouraged to present their results at a Rocky Mountain
Section GSA meeting.
The student should expect funding up to $750.
The award may not be used to pay salary, buy personal software, or attend a professional meeting such as GSA.
Appropriate use of funds includes purchasing field or lab supplies, paying for expenses related to field work,
paying for sample analyses, etc. Priority will be given to students who have not previously received an
undergraduate research grant for RMS-GSA.
The proposal should follow this sequence:
- Complete the online
- Description of Proposed Research.
Present a brief (maximum of 2 pages, including figures) description of the proposed project, including research
question(s) to be addressed, methods, analyses, and schedule for proposed activities. Applicants must use
(Arial, Times New Roman) with 1-inch margins at the top and bottom, and pages numbered consecutively. A list of
references should be provided and will not count toward the 2-page limit. The budget and budget justification do
count toward the 2-page limit. Upload to the online application in the Project Upload area (PDF or Word only).
- Itemized budget.
Provide an itemized budget using the format listed below.
||$ Other Source
|Supplies & Equipment
|Other (please specify)
|Total Project Budget
- Budget Justification.
Provide a detailed budget justification. Include rationale for proposed costs. Upload the
budget and budget justification to the online application in the “Budget Upload” area (PDF or Word
- Your project supervisor will be contacted requesting they complete an appraisal form in the
application system. Please make sure your supervisor is aware that they must do this in order for your proposal
to be considered.
Questions should be directed to the GSA
Rocky Mountain section secretary.