Required Information for GSA Awards
1. Online Nomination Form
All nominations due 1 February each year.
Exception: GSA International Distinguished Career
Award nominations due 1 March.
2. Curriculum Vitae
Required for all medals and awards.
Award nominations require a bibliography in addition to the CV. If a bibliography is
included as part of the CV, please supply only the number of selected titles required for the nomination.
3. Nomination Letter
Summary of scientific contributions to geology and to the Society. 300 words or less. (Required for all
awards except for Doris M. Curtis Outstanding Woman in Science Award.)
Doris M. Curtis Outstanding Woman in Science Award only:
- Full letter of nomination clearly stating the impact of the dissertation research; plus dissertation title
promotion activities are to be included in the submitted Letter of Nomination and submitted letters of
- Additionally, Nominators and Support Letter Writers are requested to address the continued impact of the
nominee and their Ph.D. research to the scientific community by including the following:
- Relevance of the work to the specialty field and more broadly to the geosciences and society.
- Discussion of the impact of the Ph.D. work via altered ways of thinking, new techniques, new citation
data of resulting publications, etc.
- Efforts by nominee to impact the geosciences through activities such as mentoring, teaching, and
initiatives promoting diversity in the field.
Day Medal: Nominations for the Day Medal will be reviewed using the
Donath Medal: Nominations for the Donath Medal will be reviewed using the
Donath Medal Rubric.
Please note that nominators are encouraged to ask
nominees to provide information for the DEI-specific rubric.
5. Selected Bibliography
- 20 titles or less (Penrose, Day, Honorary Fellow, GSA International Distinguished Career, Geologic
- 10 titles or less (Young Scientist, Public Service, Doris Curtis Outstanding Woman in Science)
- Optional (Distinguished Service, Bromery Award)
6. Selected Bibliography of Geologic Maps
20 titles or less including PDFs or website links to several key maps authored by nominee (Geologic
7. Letters of Support
Nominations require supporting letters in addition to the nomination letter. Supporting
letters must discuss candidates qualifications with regard to the specific criteria listed for the medal or
award. These letters of support may be emailed or mailed to GSA. Please supply only the number of supporting