The Geological Society of America is looking for a Director of Marketing to join our Team!
The Geological Society of America (GSA) unites a diverse community of
geoscientists with a common purpose to study the mysteries of our planet (and beyond) and share scientific
findings. Members and friends around the world, from academia, government, and industry, participate in GSA
meetings, publications, and programs at all career levels, to foster professional excellence. GSA values and
supports inclusion through cooperative research, public dialogue on earth issues, science education, and the
application of geoscience in the service of humankind.
The Geological Society of America is seeking a Director of Marketing with an innovative approach to
leadership in the field. In this crucial position, you will develop and execute marketing strategies that
engage our current members while attracting new ones, furthering the Society's goals as laid out in our
mission and strategic plan. Your expertise will be essential in maintaining GSA's distinguished reputation and
fostering our growth, enhancing our prominence in the international geoscience community, and promoting the
earth sciences across a diverse range of career stages.
As the lead for GSA's marketing efforts, you will work in close partnership with the executive team to shape
a brand narrative that reflects our mission and resonates with the values of our membership. Your role will be
key in creating a detailed marketing plan and overseeing the creation and distribution of captivating content
through various channels.
This position demands not just creativity but also the effective management and expansion of GSA’s resources,
including budgeting and team leadership. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, your strategic insight
will be the catalyst for GSA's marketing achievements.
- Support a service-oriented approach to working with all departments and entities at GSA to identify
marketing goals and develop strategic, effective campaigns with the aim of increasing publications sales,
meetings registrations, program participation, and membership.
- Oversee the creation of an annual marketing plan and calendar. Create and implement mapping and
segmentation strategies, trend analyses, and custom reporting/querying that support strategic dissemination
- Coordinate market research to identify needs, values, and habits of target customers that help guide
insights into marketing strategies.
- Oversee editorial direction, content, design, production, and distribution of promotional material,
including two of GSA’s monthly print and online member publications (GSA
Today and GSA
- Ensure quality of marketing communication to provide a positive user experience. Write and edit material
- Ensure successful sales efforts for publication ads, GSA’s online job board, and other programs as
identified, to ensure GSA revenue goals are met.
- Oversee marketing and sales efforts for tradeshows and events, including working with other departments to
determine strategy and management of event booth graphics, equipment, giveaways, overall branding, and
associated marketing campaigns.
- Guide GSA in creating and maintaining a consistent organizational voice and message.
- Collaborate with GSA’s Digital Technology Solutions department to monitor compliance with GDPR, cyber
security, and anti-spam regulations.
- Ensure compliance with logo usage guidelines and GSA trademarks.
- Consult on and coordinate statements and responses from GSA President, Executive Director, and others.
- Assist Executive Director and leadership team with internal information-sharing to enhance employee
engagement and positive corporate culture.
- Establish policies and procedures, and coordinate staff and member-leader training and usage of GSA
digital communications tools, including blast email, GSA’s guest blog, and webinars. Respond to member
feedback to maintain highest-quality customer service standards.
- Remain current on association-specific trends, challenges, and opportunities in order to adapt marketing
and sales strategies according to market needs.
- Develop and administer marketing program budgets.
- Serve on GSA’s senior leadership team and ad hoc committees as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Represent GSA at professional meetings as required.
- Establish and maintain professional peer networks to stay current and benchmark industry best practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Direct reports such as a Graphic Designer and Marketing Associate, an Editorial Manager for GSA
Advertising Sales Manager, and may include others as assigned.
- Demonstrate strong coaching skills and mentoring mindset, with the ability to drive team achievement of
goals and high performance.
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in marketing or related field, including a solid understanding of marketing
and communications principles and current practices.
- Minimum five years experience in a senior management position.
- Proven ability to develop, execute, and modify strategic marketing campaigns that support complex
organizations and proven success in conducting/overseeing market research, assessment, and analysis.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, emotional intelligence, and a commitment to collaboration and consensus
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Mature judgment/outstanding ethics and discretion in dealing with sensitive issues.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Adobe, Google applications (mail, calendar, drive,
analytics), project management software, association management systems, social media, and AI tools; ability
to learn new software quickly.
- Familiarity with science and the non-profit or scholarly society environment, including mission-based
marketing, is desirable.
Working Environment/Physical Activities
- Extensive computer work, multiple projects, and multiple deadlines that create a demanding work
environment are standard.
- Periodic travel will be required.
Qualified candidates should send a résumé/CV and cover letter to Resumes@geosociety.org before 15 January 2024.