South-Central Section


The South-Central Section of the Geological Society of America offers competitive undergraduate research grants to students enrolled in institutions of higher education in the South-Central Section and who are student members of the Geological Society of America.

Students must be members of the South Central Section (university, college, and 2-year college (2YC) students are eligible) and should have the objective of presenting the results of their research at a South-Central Section Meeting or at a GSA Annual meeting. The expected amount is $500.

Undergraduate applications (2 copies) must be emailed or postmarked no later than 1 April and awards will be made by 30 April. 
Applications should be sent to:

Wm. Jay Sims
Earth Science Department
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 S. University
Little Rock, AR 72204-1099


The GSA Foundation has awarded $4,500 to each of the six GSA sections for student travel grants. In order to qualify for these grants, you must be a student member of the South-Central Section of GSA. The money, when combined with equal funds from the sections, is used to assist both undergraduate and graduate student members of GSA.The South-Central Section usually makes awards of up to $200.

Students: In order to be considered for a travel grant, you must:

  1. Be the senior author and presenter of the paper;
  2. A current student member of South Central section of GSA (Not a member? JOIN now), attending an institution in the section or presenting research from the area of the section;
  3. Be registered for the meeting to which you are applying for a grant; and
  4. Apply using the online Travel Grant Application Form (available from the "Students" page in the appropriate meeting announcement during the registration period).
  5. Grant recipients must check in onsite at the GSA Registration Desk in person with photo ID. Checks are mailed after the meeting. If you don't check in at the meeting, the check will be voided.

Notification of grant status will be made prior to the cancellation deadline, so if your attendance is dependent on receipt of a travel grant and you do not receive it, you may obtain a full registration refund.