How to Apply for a Position
Spring/Summer 2020 application deadline: 13 January 2020. Spring/summer positions are posted in early December; applications are due mid-January. Fall/Winter positions are posted
in early May; applications are due in mid-June.
You do not need to be a GSA member to apply. However, joining GSA has many benefits and ensures that your
application information carries over into multiple years and to other GSA programs.
Online Application System
Tips for Applying
to GSA ProgramsApplication
- Submit your application through GSA's online system only; materials sent by e-mail or regular mail will NOT be
accepted by GSA or its agency partners.
- You may apply for up to five GIP positions per application period.
- This Application Worksheet
provides a preview of questions candidates are required to answer.
- The Application Tip-Sheet gives
advice on how to successfully submit an application.
- The Tips for Applying to GSA Programs gives
advice on how to submit an application to GSA programs in general.
- Only one electronic profile/résumé is required, even if you apply for more than one assignment.
- You must provide a cover letter for EACH assignment that you apply for. The cover letter can be addressed to the
Primary Contact listed for each assignment, or it does not need to be addressed to anyone specific it all. (It
should not be addressed to GSA staff.)
- You can modify your profile/résumé at any time before the deadline. All profiles will be considered final after
the posted deadline.
- One letter of recommendation is required; you may include up to three. You should request these letters early to ensure that they are submitted in time, and it's a good idea to request two to three letters so you have at least one as a backup. These letters must be submitted electronically through the online application system.
- Once you have selected the assignments(s) for which you would like to apply, your GSA profile/home page will
list which components of the application have been successfully submitted.
- Please do not send transcripts; they will not be considered as part of your application. Instead, you must enter
your courses and grades directly into the online application database. (Detailed instructions are provided once
you set up your application profile.)
- Deadline: Any application materials received (not
submitted, but received) after the deadline will not be considered.
What to expect after applying
- Agency supervisors will begin the initial contact and interview process about three weeks after the application
- Placement offers will be made about six weeks after the application deadline.
- If you will be out of town (spring break, field work, etc.) during the interview and selection process, make
sure you are accessible either by phone or e-mail so that you do not miss a potential interview.
- Filled assignments will be noted on the GIP Assignments webpage.
Contact GSA's GIP team.
Sign up for NPS
Geoscientists-In-the-Parks (GIP) e-News to get notified when you can apply for GIP positions. This list is
used just a few times a year to alert potential applicants about when positions are being posted and applications
are being accepted.