|4.||Ethical Guidelines for Publication|
|5.||Editor Contact Information|
|GSA Today Home|
GSA Today: Sizing Manuscripts
- Six print pages MAX: This includes author affiliations, abstract, text, figures, tables, references, and figure captions.
- For the body of the paper: ~6,500 characters (letters and spaces between words) = approx. one page in print. Another way to look at it: 6,500 characters & spaces = about three double-spaced pages of text in a Word doc, or about 750 words.
- Acknowledgments, references cited, and figure captions are set in smaller type, so for these, ~12,000 characters = approx. one page in print.
- Figures will be calculated into the size of the manuscript (e.g., a figure that takes up about 25% of a page = ~1,625 characters & spaces that will need to be removed from the text). There is no charge for color figures.
- Manuscripts that are too long will be returned for shortening before they go through the review process. Supplemental data* may be included in GSA's online repository; however, this repository is not to be used as additional space to convey the message of the article. If you have questions or concerns about this issue, please contact the managing editor.
- Two print pages MAX: This is ~1,700 words (including title, author names and affiliations, references, figure captions, etc.) with no figures or ~1500 words with a 1/5-page figure, etc.
- The philosophy behind this short format is twofold: (1) keeping an article short can increase the clarity and quality of the writing; and (2) a short article encourages readers to engage and seek more information.
Comments & Replies
- 900 words MAX: This limit includes author names, affiliations, and references.
- To include a figure in your comment or reply, please reduce the text in proportion to the size of your figure (a 1/4-page figure = minus 25% of your text).
- Comments & Replies will be posted online; an announcement, including the link, will be printed in GSA Today.
*Supplemental data: Information that supplements and expands on the published article can be posted to GSA's online supplemental data repository. It is generally restricted to data tables and related graphs or figures, and/or explanations of methods (where this is not central to the paper). Supplemental information is not to be used to provide additional space (for text or figures) to convey the message of the article.
- Please contact GSA Today's managing editor at any time (preferably by e-mail):
- Kea Giles M.A.
- Tel: +1-303-357-1057
- fax: +1-303-357-1070
- The Geological Society of America
P.O. Box 9140
Boulder, CO 80301-9140, USA