|1.||Submission, Review, and Acceptance|
|3.||Editorial Policy, copyright, and costs|
|7.||Ethical Guidelines for Publication|
Geosphere is GSA's ambitious entry into electronic publication. The primary goal of this effort is to address the clear and growing need for timely publication of research results, data, software, and educational developments in ways that cannot be addressed by traditional formats. A secondary goal is building an interface with other efforts within the scientific community that seek improvement of access to and preservation of data along with easy access to resources such as GIS databases and modeling results. Compared to traditional formats, which it does NOT seek to replace, Geosphere will be innovative and evolutionary.
In order to maintain a broad scope and to encourage contributions in a variety of forms, several types of submissions are sought. All contributions will be peer-reviewed, and the initial list of categories of publications is:
- Research Papers — fundamental and complete research contributions on scientific and educational topics
- Research Notes — short research contributions that can take many forms
- Data Contributions — a forum for publishing data sets in an archive where longevity can be assured
- Educational Contributions — an opportunity to publish short articles on new approaches to enhance learning, tutorials, best practices, and other topics
- Software Contributions — a forum for publishing new software, Web services, ontologies, and such that will be made freely available to the scientific and educational communities
- Comments and Replies — a forum in which published papers can be discussed
How is Geosphere like other broad-based, international journals?
- Geosphere seeks high-quality papers from a broad spectrum of geoscience disciplines.
- Review is rigorous.
- Papers are copy edited and formatted by GSA's professional staff.
- Geosphere's goal is a high impact factor.
How is it different?
- It is entirely electronic, and the format is extremely flexible.
- We encourage innovative approaches to scientific publication.
- Review and publication is rapid and devoid of considerations such as arbitrary page limits.
- Extensive use of color, animations, and interactivity is encouraged.
- Oversize figures (maps, cross sections, seismic sections, etc.) are welcome.
- Links to data archives allow for the presentation and preservation of basic data, images, etc.
- The journal will evolve with technological advances, and synergy with other GSA publications and those of its affiliated societies will be maintained.
In order to maintain rapid turnaround on papers that are submitted for consideration, authors are urged to edit their papers carefully according GSA style and format guidelines. You may elect to have a peer, freelance editor, or English editing service look over your paper prior to submission; a list of resources is available here. Authors are encouraged to suggest qualified reviewers by submitting their names and contact information.