29 September 2005
GSA Release No. 05-33
Late-breaking Geoscience on Hurricane Katrina, and More, at Geological Society of America Annual Meeting Next Month
Boulder, Colo. - The GSA 2005 Annual Meeting and Exposition offers late-breaking geoscience on a wide variety of topics. The meeting takes place 16-19 October at the Salt Palace Convention Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The latest geoscience perspectives on Hurricane Katrina and the devastation of New Orleans will be presented in a special two-hour session on Tuesday, 18 October, 3:30-5:30 p.m. MDT, in Room 250D/E of the Salt Palace Convention Center. "An Eye on Katrina: Geoscience Perspectives on a Catastrophic Hurricane" is under development and additional information will be provided as it becomes available.
A Pardee Keynote Symposium will explore the latest results and images from the Cassini-Huygens mission to Saturn. Top mission scientists will also participate in GSA's third annual evening forum open to the public.
- Session 102, Monday, 17 October, 1:30-5:30 p.m., SPCC Ballrooms A/C "The Return to Saturn: Results from Cassini-Huygens" (sponsored by the GSA Planetary Geology Division)
View abstracts: http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2005AM/finalprogram/session_16146.htm
- Public Forum, Monday, 17 October, 7:00-8:30 p.m., SPCC Ballrooms A/C "Saturn and its Moons: A Ring-Side View from Cassini-Huygens" (Sponsored by Subaru of America, Inc.)
Two sessions bring together a variety of perspectives and tools to support geoscientists in teaching and speaking about evolution. Scientific, political, educational, and religious perspectives are included in this timely, comprehensive treatment of the subject.
- Pardee Keynote Symposium, Sunday, 16 October, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Ballrooms A/C "Speaking Out for Evolution: Rationale and Resources for Supporting the Teaching of Evolution" (sponsored by the Paleontological Society and Society of Vertebrate Paleontology)
View abstracts: http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2005AM/finalprogram/session_16049.htm
- Session 81, Monday, 17 October, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., SPCC Ballroom J "Is it Science? Strategies for Addressing Creationism in the Classroom and the Community" (sponsored by the National Association of Geoscience Teachers, GSA Geology and Society Division, GSA Geology and Public Policy Committee, and GSA Geoscience Education Division)
View abstracts: http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2005AM/finalprogram/session_16171.htm
To view the complete technical program please visit http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2005AM/finalprogram/
GSA will staff a fully equipped newsroom in Room 254C of the Salt Palace Convention Center. Hours of operation are:
|Saturday, 15 October
|Sunday-Tuesday, 16-18 October
||7:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
|Wednesday, 19 October
||7:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
The telephone number for incoming calls is +1-801-534-4770. Media representatives unable to attend are encouraged to call in and arrange for telephone interviews.
MEDIA REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Eligibility for media registration is as follows:
- Working press representing bona fide, recognized news media with a press card, letter, or business card from the publication.
- Freelance science writers, presenting a current membership card from NASW, regional affiliates of NASW, ISWA, CSWA, ACS, ABSW, EUSJA, or evidence of work pertaining to science published in 2004 or 2005.
- PIOs of scientific societies, educational institutions, and government agencies.
Journalists and PIOs must pay for any short courses or field trips in which they wish to participate.
Representatives of the business side of news media, publishing houses, and for-profit corporations must register at the main registration desk and pay the appropriate fees.
For additional information on eligibility and housing, and to register, visit www.geosociety.org/meetings/2005/rMedia.htm. Pre-registration deadline for media is 30 September 2005. After 30 September, eligible media may register onsite at the GSA Newsroom. Contact Ann Cairns, GSA Director of Communications, for information and assistance (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Geological Society of America
3300 Penrose Place-Box 9140
Boulder, CO 80301-9140, USA