|See who's blogging|
|AM Blogging Policy|
|View AM Tweets|
|PRESS BRIEFING WEBCAST|
|NASA's Dawn Mission at Vesta
Presented from the 2011 Annual Meeting and Exhibition of the Geological Society of America
Wed., 12 Oct. 2011, 12-1 p.m. (CDT)
An archive of the live news conference is available for viewing at www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2.
Blogs & News Coverage of GSA Annual Meeting Science & Events
Please check back often — the list will build throughout the meeting and after.
- Irish Whodunit: The Mystery of the Moving Boulders
Our Amazing Planet, 8 Nov. (re: R. Cox et al., Storm Waves Move Large Boulder Ridges on the Aran Islands, Ireland)
- Zombie Volcano or New Supervolcano?
Discovery News, 3 Nov. (re: Perkins and Finnegan, "Supervolcano Growth Constrained From Geomorphology on The Bolivian Altiplano")
- Did Columbus contribute to a Little Ice Age?
ScienceNews for Kids, 2 Nov. (re: Nevle et al., "Ecological-Hydrological Effects of Reduced Biomass Burning in the Neotropics after A.D. 1500")
- Sticking it to the Mann: Climate Science Sparks Protest
LiveScience, 31 Oct. (and picked by by MSNBC)
- Anatomy of a Disaster: Mapping Catastrophe in 3-D
Our Amazing Planet, 27 Oct. (re: M.J. Olsen, "Applications of 3D Laser Scanning to Earthquake Reconnaissance" [digital poster]) (and picked up by MSNBC)
- Unleash the Kraken! Creationism, Kookiness, and Alleged Censorship
Huff Post Education, 26 Oct.
- Smooth Desert Boulders May Be Quakes’ Work
New York Times, 24 Oct. (re: Quade et al., "Seismicity and the Strange Rubbing Boulders of the Atacama Desert, Northern Chile")
- Call of questions for the next Q&A with Dr. Shanaka de Silva
Wired Science – Eruptions Blog, 24 Oct.
- Science from Vesta at The Geological Society of America Meeting
The Planetary Society, 24 Oct.
- Theory: Ichthyosaurs killed by squid-like creature
Las Vegas Sun, 19 Oct. (via AP)
- Rapidly Inflating Volcano Creates Growing Mystery
Our Amazing Planet, 19 Oct. (re: Perkins and Finnegan, "Supervolcano Growth Constrained From Geomorphology on The Bolivian Altiplano")
- Time Lapse LRRD at GSA fun!
Riparian Rap, 19 Oct.
- Dawn Discovers Surprise 2nd Giant South Pole Impact Basin at Strikingly Dichotomous Vesta
Universe Today, 18 Oct.
- Laser analysis betrays diamonds' origins
Science News, 14 Oct.
(re: McManus et al., "Assessment of Provenance of Conflict Minerals Using Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS)")
- The Great Kraken Fracas
About.com Geology, 14 Oct.
- Seeing a Cephalopod in Ancient Bones
Science Friday, 14 Oct.
- Columbus blamed for Little Ice Age
Science News, 13 Oct.
(for the 5 Nov. issue, with title "Columbus' arrival linked to carbon dioxide drop";
(re: Nevle et al., "Ecological-Hydrological Effects of Reduced Biomass Burning in the Neotropics after A.D. 1500")
- Tech reflections from #GSAMinn
Dr. G's Teaching with Technology Portfolio, 13 Oct.
- Disaster's Aftermath: Assessing Hurricane Irene's Damage
Our Amazing Planet, 13 Oct. (and picked up by Scientific American on 14 Oct.;
re: Late-Breaking Session: Geologic Consequences of Hurricane Irene—A Preliminary Assessment)
- The Mystery of Mars' Bizarre Plumbing
Discovery News, 13 Oct. (re: Gregg et al., "Sinuous Rilles in Hesperia Planum, Mars: Water, Lava, or Something Else?")
- Did giant octopus kill ichthyosaurs found in Nevada?
Nevada Appeal, 13 Oct.
- Oxygen blew up ancient amoebas
Science News, 13 Oct. (re: Payne et al., "Late Paleozoic Fusulinoidean Gigantism Driven by Atmospheric Hyperoxia")
- Short Sharp Science: Prehistoric giant squid may have hunted ichthyosaurs
New Scientist, 12 Oct.
- Dawn@Vesta Science Report
The Daily Kos, 12 Oct.
- Found: Possible Trigger For Volcano Super-Eruptions
Science 2.0 - Science Blogs, 12 Oct. (re: Gregg et al., "Development, Evolution and Triggering of Supereruptions")
- New images of protoplanet Vesta reveal mountain bigger than Everest
Christian Science Montior, 12 Oct. (and picked up by the Alaska Dispatch)
- Microbe Census to Delve Deep for Earth's 'Invisibles'
Our Amazing Planet, 12 Oct. (re: Colwell et al., "The Census of Deep Life: A New Project to Explore Life Underground")
- The GSA meeting experience, 2011
Mountain Beltway blog, 12 Oct.
- Raining Meteorites May Have Led to Earth's Primordial Life
LiveScience, 12 Oct. (re: Osinski, "The Role of Meteorite Impacts in The Origin and Evolution of Life")
- LRRD at GSA Minneapolis
Riparian Rap, 11 Oct.
- Rocking Discovery: Boulders Rub Shoulders During Quakes
Our Amazing Planet, 11 Oct. (and picked up by Yahoo!News)
- Asteroid Has Mountains 3 Times Bigger than Everest
Discovery News, 11 Oct.
- Did an Ancient Kraken Create Its Own Friends? What About a Modern Jellyfish?
Popular Science, 11 Oct.
- Earthquakes Cause Boulders to Rub Shoulders
Mother Nature News, 11 Oct. (re: Quade et al., "Seismicity and the Strange Rubbing Boulders of the Atacama Desert, Northern Chile")
- Kraken lair? Paleontologist identifies giant sea monster's bone heap
Christian Science Monitor, 11 Oct.
- Kraken Sea Monster Account "Bizarre and Miraculous"
National Geographic News, 11 Oct.
- Professor digs deep for geology study
Dunn County News, 11 Oct.
- Kraken versus ichthyosaur: Let battle commence
Nature News, 11 Oct. (also picked up by Scientific American)
- Fossil moth reveals colorful hue
ScienceNews, 11 Oct.
- "Kraken" sea monster emerges from mythological mists
CBS News, 11 Oct.
- New Study Reveals that Extinction of Planets Can Happen
International Business Times, 11 Oct.
- A Giant Leap
Ancient Shore blog, 11 Oct.
- GSA Meeting, Day 2
Updates from the Paleontology Lab, 11 Oct.
- Posters Round Two at GSA – Minneapolis
Wooster Geologists, 11 Oct.
- Rocks of Ages: An Amazing Journey into Earth & Back
Our Amazing Planet, 10 Oct.
- The Giant, Prehistoric Squid That Ate Common Sense
Wired Science - Laelaps, 10 Oct.
- Supply Questionn Asked as Rare Earths are Getting Rarer
Earth Times, 10 Oct.
- Smokin' Kraken?
Discovery News, 11 Oct.
- GSA Careers Networking Luncheon – A HUGE Success!
YES Network, 10 Oct.
- GSA Meeting: The Anthropocene Panel
About.com: Geology, 10 Oct.
- MSU Geology in the Field
Michigan State University, 10 Oct.
- First Wooster student presentations: The Estonia team
Wooster Geologists, 10 Oct.
- Giant 'Kraken' Lair Discovered: Sea Monster May Have Preyed on Ichthyosaurs (VIDEO)
Huffington Post, 10 Oct. (re: McMenamin & Schulte McMenamin, "Triassic Kraken: The Berlin Ichthyosaur Death Assemblage Interpreted as a Giant Cephalopod Midden")
- Professor and Students Find High Levels of Mercury in Wethersfield Cove
Hartford Courant, 8 Oct. (re: poster by Varekamp, "Wethersfield Cove, Hartford, CT — A 300 Year Urban Pollution Record")
- Field Trip Day
About.com Geology, 8 Oct.
- Experimental Delta, St. Anthony Falls Lab, Minneapolis, MN
Geologic Froth blog, 8 Oct.
- An Epoch Debate
Science, 7 Oct.
- Can gamma-ray bursts destroy life on Earth?
MSNBC (LiveScience; also picked up by Yahoo! News), 7 Oct.
- Lake Agassiz disgorges its secrets
Earth Times, 6 Oct.
- "Anthropocene" Reaches the Buzz Stage
About.com: Geology, 5 Oct.
- Dawn mission revealing secrets of the early Solar System – October 04, 2011
Nature News Blog, 4 Oct.