Visa Information
General Info
Planning Steps
U.S. Dept. of State
Visa Services Info
Important Websites
Travel Grants
Request Letter of Invitation

Travel to the United States

Do I need a visa?

Most travelers to the United States must hold a valid visa and a passport that is valid for six months longer than the intended visit. Please explore the pages at the right to determine if you require a travel visa to attend the Annual Meeting.

Plan Early

If you do need a visa, we urge you to begin the process immediately. An interview appointment is required for a visa application at all embassies and consulates, and while the wait time for this appointment varies, it may take as long as three months, with processing taking an additional month or more. Check the U.S. State Department's Web site for specific wait-time information.

There have been some important changes to the US-VISIT program. The program now requires most foreign visitors to have fingerprints made of all their fingers and a digital photograph taken to verify their identity at the consulates as well as the port-of-entry (Canadians should double-check their US-VISIT exempt status). A departure confirmation program is also now currently in place as part of US-VISIT. This program applies to all visitors, including those from visa-waiver countries.

Beginning in January 2010, visitors from countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program must register with the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before entering the country. Learn more on the U.S. State Department's Web site.

International Section Travel Grants

Application deadline: 1 August 2011

GSA's International Section is offering travel grants again this to assist the participation of international scientists and students in the 2011 GSA Annual Meeting in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. Funds are limited; grants will not cover the full cost of attending the meeting but are intended to help defray the combined cost of registration, housing, and travel.

To apply, please go the GSA International Section's Web page. If you have questions, please contact Joann Stock, .