Student Volunteer Info
|Edit Work Schedule|
- An alternate may be assigned a variety of positions to fill in those positions when volunteers miss assignments. Alternates are encouraged to bring course work or reading materials with them for idle periods. Alternates are strongly encouraged to attend one of the Presentation Coordinators Training Sessions which are offered Saturday through Monday 12:15 to 1:15 p.m.
- Annual Meeting Office Runner/Hotel Annual Meeting Office Runner
- Must be a pleasant; helpful person to answer phones and questions from walk-in attendees. A quick learner and able to make simple decisions and handle the unexpected. Must work well with others. Will be required to run errands, deliver signs, and check meeting rooms. Additionally, you will assist the office manager as needed, which could be anything. Should wear comfortable shoes and be clean.
- Badge Monitor
- This position involves making sure attendees have a current badge, with a new watermark, and that people entering the Technical Sessions have a badge. Students signing up for this position would need to tell people to register for the meeting if they do not have a current badge.
- Badge Pickup Coordinator
- Responsible for handing out Programs and Badge Holders to people who have preregistered and have their badges that were mailed to them with them. No computer work required. Bring a book for slow times. This can either be at the convention center or a headquarters hotel.
- Badge Reprint Assistant
- The Badge Reprint desk is intended to be a self service station for registrants who've misplaced or forgotten their badges. The Badge Reprint Assistant will be responsible for confirming the registrants name on the meeting roster, assist the registrant in printing a duplicate badge, and refill printers with badge stock. This person will need to engage registrants in conversation to determine how to best meet their needs. Neatly dressed with good customer service skills are a plus.
- Badge Stuffers
- This position requires folding and stuffing badges into blank badge holders and filing them in alphabetical order in preparation for pick up by pre-registered attendees. This position reports to the registration coordinator and takes place prior to the start of the meeting. Jeans and comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Bookstore Setup/Tear Down
- Heavy lifting: boxes off skids onto tables. Per directives of GSA Bookstore staff and floor plans. Must be organized and able to work independently and quickly after receiving instructions. Must understand English. Wear comfortable clothes suitable for lifting, getting dirty, standing on cement floor, etc. Saturday will be a full day; break for lunch on own.
- Council Office Assistant
- A person to answer phones and questions from walk-in attendees. A quick learner and able to make simple deci05-Oct-2006-->rrands, deliver signs, and check meeting rooms. Additionally, you will assist the office manager as needed, which could be anything. Should wear comfortable shoes.
- Distributing of Survey Cards
- This job is to be sure all poster presenters from the Sunday afternoon session clear their boards at 5:30 p.m., immediately after the session ends. A survey card needs to be tacked to the first 50 poster boards. This needs to be completed by 5:45 p.m. Survey cards need to be passed out to people attending the poster session.
- Employment Service Center Assistant
- This position reports to the employment service center. The assistant will perform Xeroxing duties, posting and filing of resumes.
- Exhibit Booth Assistant
- Hand out literature as requested. Handle credit card sales and keep sales records current. Neat business like appearance is required. Customer service oriented and willingness to engage visitors in conversation about exhibitor's materials.
- Exhibitor/GSIF Check-In
- Will be responsible for checking in school representatives and directing them to the booth locations.
- Field Trip Helper
- Help check in field trip participants and hand out material. Transports guidebooks from storage area to departure areas. Must be in good physical condition and be able to lift boxes weighing between 25 and 40 pounds. Being on time (early a.m.) for scheduled shift is very important. Neat appearance is required, but jeans and comfortable shoes are appropriate.
- GSA Registration Ambassador
- It's very important that our attendees are able to register for the meeting in a quick, efficient manner. Ambassadors help to do this by providing badge holders and programs to pre-registered attendees who have their badges in hand. Ambassadors will also direct attendees to the:
• On-site Registration Desk
• Pre-Registered Badge Pickup Desk
• Exhibitor Registration Desk
• Trouble Shooting Desk
• Membership Booth
• Abstract Sales Booth
An outgoing personality and willingness to assist attendees by giving directions and answering questions is strongly encouraged. The Student Volunteer Coordinator will provide a staff vest for you to wear during your shift.
- Hall of Fame Setup/Tear Down
- Some minor lifting of poster stands. Per directives of GSA staff and floor plans, posters must be hung by Velcro on poster stands. Must be organized and able to work independently and quickly after receiving instructions. Must understand English. Wear comfortable clothes suitable for lifting and working on the floor (rolling and unrolling of posters).
- Poster Booth Help Desk
- Will be responsible for the poster booth area. This includes answering questions, directing presenters to proper booth, and helping presenters hang up posters as needed.
- Pre-Registration Desk Assistant
- This position reports to the Registration Coordinator and is responsible for handing out badges to pre-registered meeting attendees. This is a fast paced job that also requires you to restock tables with meeting programs. A neat appearance and pleasant attitude is desirable.
- Program Assistant
- Utilize people counter, if requested. Help with setup for the program; run errands; hang signs; help generate an audience by directing people toward the area of the program; facilitate seating for attendees; crowd control; collect evaluation forms.
- Presentation Coordinator Training
- All presentation coordinators must take this training before their first scheduled presentation coordinator position. Alternates are strongly recommended to take this training also. The hour of training is credited toward your total number of volunteered hours (one hour only).
- Presidential Address and Awards Ceremony
- Greeters to hand out programs prior to the ceremony. A neat appearance and pleasant attitude is desirable. GSA President Stephen G. Wells gives his Presidential Address and presents the 2006 GSA Award & Medals. Also honored are the Honorary Fellows, newly elected Fellows, the Subaru Outstanding woman in Science award and GSA Division Award winners.
- Registration Print Monitor
- This position reports to the Registration Coordinator and requires inserting badge stock into badge holders for distribution to on-site meeting registrants. This is a fun, fast paced job that requires good team working skills. Previous experience with laser printers is a plus. Neat appearance and comfortable shoes are preferred.
- Registration Runner
- This position reports to the Registration Coordinator. Duties include running errands for GSA staff and keeping registration materials stocked and in order. May require lifting up to 25 pounds. The registration runner will need to familiarize themselves with the Convention Center map. A neat appearance and the ability to work well with the registration team are required.
- Registration Setup
- This position reports to the Registration Coordinator and will assist in unpacking crates and boxes prior to the start of the meeting. May be required to lift up to 40-50 pounds. Running errands and deliveries to Headquarters Hotels may be required. Jeans/work clothes and gloves are suggested.
- Short Course Helper
- Check names at the door, help set up classrooms, operate a 35-mm slide projector, LCD projector and computer. Pre-conference presentation coordinators must have previous experience with 35-mm slide projector and LCD projector. Lunch is included.
- Speaker Ready Room Assistant
- Will assist the AVHQ staff with presenters in the Speaker Ready Room. This includes directing presenters standing in line, and taking direction from AVHQ staff with what is needed.
- Student Volunteer Office Assistant
- For students with a wide range of skills and experience. Must be able to help deal with many problems/people at once without getting flustered. Help verify proper placement of people and things. Help solve problems with a level head. Fill in for absent volunteers. Students with knowledge of excel and word-processing are welcome. Assist with posting of job assignments.
- Technical Session / Hot Topics Presentation Coordinator
- Must attend one Presentation Coordinator Training Session prior to serving as a presentation coordinator. Ability to operate an LCD projector and computer, and possibly a 35-mm slide projector. Sessions are offered Saturday through Monday from 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. Pre-conference presentation coordinators must have previous experience with 35-mm slide projector and LCD projector.
- Ticket Taker
- Take tickets from attendees. May be requested to sell tickets to attendees. May be asked to help with crowd control, seating arrangements, use people counters, facilitate Q&A with portable microphones; and collect evaluation forms at end of event.
- Traffic Control Assistant
- The registration desk is by nature a highly trafficked area. This person is responsible for directing registrants from the registration area to the meeting facilities throughout the Convention Center once they've finished the registration process. This is a loud and busy environment so the ability to engage people in a courteous and professional manner is a plus. Should be neatly dressed with comfortable shoes.