Costa Rica & Nicaragua
Colliding Plates : Active volcanoes of the tropics
15-27 July 2008
Experience the diverse terrain of a tropical paradise on this 13-day ultimate professional development adventure. Set in the heart of Central America, your journey will uncover the natural wonders of Costa Rica and Nicaragua.
Our exploration will combine the rich biodiversity of the tropics with the active and historic geologic formations found throughout the countries visited. On this program you will examine lava flows, craters, ash deposits, fissures, and other volcanic features. Additionally you will have the opportunity to explore abundant secondary volcanic activity: steam and sulfur vents, mud volcanoes, and boiling ponds.
- Partake in a panel discussion with the University of Costa Rica's geological experts.
- Experience the living laboratory of Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica's most active volcano, offering the possibilities to view volcanic activity.
- Enjoy a relaxing soak in the hot springs of Arenal.
- Spend an evening on Ometepe Island, located in the middle of Lake Nicaragua and learn about Island geology.
- Explore the complexity of the Mombacho Volcano and Isletas area.
- Enjoy an exploration of the impressive Masaya Volcano, an unusal basaltic volcano located in Nicaragua’s oldest National Park.
- Visit a Geothermal Power Plant where steam is used to generate electric power.
- Discover the youngest volcano of Central America, Cerro Negro Volcano, created by geological forces in 1850.
Reservations / Information
To reserve a position or obtain more information on this exciting trip, please contact the trip coordinator, Sandy Doss at email@example.com or toll free 800-396-0763. For further information about Holbrook, see www.holbrooktravel.com.
Alternatively, you can contact Gary Lewis, Director, GSA Education & Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to top