Geology of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, Idaho
29 August – 4 September 2009 (7 days)
This trip has been cancelled.
This seven-day trip is a fully outfitted expedition on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River traveling through the Impassable Canyon in the largest wilderness in the lower 48 states. The Middle Fork is considered a class 4 river and offers adventurers a great opportunity to experience the thrill of river rafting while learning about the geology of this secluded region.
The trip will focus on the geomorphology and hydrology of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River as they relate to historical and current geologic events. A brief overview of the long-term geologic history and bedrock geology of the region will provide a contextual background for the trip. Topics such as glacial, incision, and landslide history, fluvial deposition, terrace formation, sedimentation, and bedrock composition will be covered at one to two study sites each day that will provide participants an opportunity for discussion and interpretation of the landscape.
Itinerary Coming Soon!
Kerry Riley is a graduate student at Boise State University in the Hydrologic Science Program. She has been guiding whitewater river trips since 1999 in Idaho, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, California, Oregon, and New Zealand. She received a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Colorado at Boulder with a focus on hydrologic science and physical geography. Kerry is currently researching the fire history of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, Holocene climate change, and associated geomorphology.
This trip has been cancelled.
US $2350 per person for GSA Member and Spouse.
Non-member: US $2450 per person. Download Reservation Form
A US$600 deposit is due by 2 June.
The remaining balance is due by 31 July. Not a GSA member? Join Today!
Please Note: See cancellation & refund policy below.
Please do not purchase flight tickets until GSA confirms the tour will run.
Included in the Tour Package and Registration Fee
- Van transfer from Boise, ID Airport to Stanley, ID.
- First night hotel stay at Mountain Village Lodge in Stanley, ID
- Crew of professional guides that row the boats, set up camp, and do all of the cooking.
- All sleeping gear and tents
- Water proof bags to pack personal items
- All meals and beverages while on the river
- Transfer from river take out point to Boise, ID
- Guidebook/Field Notes
Not Included in Tour Package
- Airfare to/from Boise, ID
- Dinner first night (August 29)
- Last night hotel room (A block of rooms has been reserved at a discounted rate at the Best Western Vista Inn near the Boise airport. Ask for the room block under GSA Geoventures. Individuals will need to make their own reservations and arrange payment.)
- After the trip, if you wish to fly from Salmon, ID to Boise ID instead of riding the van, you can book a flight with Sawtooth Flying Service, 1-800-798-6105. PLEASE BOOK EARLY.
Please contact Adventure Guides river outfitter for any special needs that you may require. GSA is committed to making this program accessible to all people interested in attending. For more information on accessibility and Adventure Guides, please visit www.riveradventureguides.com/.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
Your deposit and any additional payments will be refunded if registered before June 30 or if GSA must cancel the trip.
For more information on this exciting trip, please contact Eric Nocerino
return to top