How to Apply for a GeoCorps™ America Position
Go to the GSA Education & Outreach Application Portal to apply.
Spring/summer positions are posted in early January; application deadlines vary. Fall/winter positions are posted in early May; the application deadline is noon Mountain Time on 1 July.
You must be a GSA member to apply (new memberships and renewals are generally processed within 24 hours). If you have participated in GeoCorps in the past, you may apply for "Guest Scientist" assignments ONLY.
- Submit your application through GSA's online system only; materials sent by e-mail or regular mail will NOT be accepted by GSA or its agency partners.
- This GeoCorps Application Worksheet provides a preview of questions candidates are required to answer.
- Only one electronic profile/résumé is required, even if you apply for more than one assignment.
- You must provide a cover letter for EACH assignment that you apply for.
- You can modify your profile/résumé at any time before the deadline. All profiles will be considered final after the posted deadline.
- One letter of recommendation of recommendation is required; you may include a second. You should request these letters early to ensure that they are submitted in time, and it's a good idea to request two letters so you have one as a backup. These letters must be submitted electronically through the online application system.
- Once you have selected the assignments(s) for which you would like to apply, your GSA profile/home page will list which components of the application have been successfully submitted.
- Please do not send transcripts; they will not be considered as part of your application. Instead, you must enter your courses and grades directly into the online application database. (Detailed instructions are provided once you set up your application profile.) If you already have a transcript on file for GeoCorps, it will no longer be linked to your application, so please enter your courses and grades into the database.
- Deadline: Noon Mountain Time on the posted date. Any application materials received (not submitted, but received) after the deadline will not be considered.
- Agency supervisors will begin the initial contact and interview process about three weeks after the application deadline.
- Placement offers will be made about six weeks after the application deadline.
- If you will be out of town (spring break, field work, etc.) during the interview and selection process, make sure you are accessible either by phone or e-mail so that you do not miss a potential interview.
- Filled assignements will be noted on the GeoCorps Assignments webpage.
Contact Matthew Dawson, , or Allison Kerns, .
Sign up for GeoCorps America e-news to get notified when you can apply for GeoCorps positions. This list is used just a few times a year to alert potential applicants about when positions are being posted and applications are being accepted.