Frequently Asked Questions
- What is GSA?
- The Geological Society of America is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement of the geosciences. As an expanding global membership society with more than 27,000 members (35% students) in 115 countries. The Society's primary activities are organizing scientific meetings and publishing scientific literature. Other activities include disbursing research grants, honoring outstanding scientific contributors with medals and awards, assisting teachers in geoscience education, and fostering public awareness of geoscience issues.
- Click here for more information about GSA.
- Have I renewed my membership?
- Click here to check your membership dues payment status.
- GSA memberships are all on a calendar year schedule — January through December. Renew Now Online.
- How do I update my contact information?
- If you are a member and need to change any of your personal information, please use our Change of Address form or contact GSA Sales and Service, .
- How do I apply for membership?
- You may join online for the current calendar year, or you may print the PDF form and send it to us by mail.
- Where is the closest GSA chapter or geology club?
- GSA has six regional Sections. GSA also has 18 special interest Divisions. GSA does not have or sponsor geology clubs.
- How do I pay GSA?
- You may pay with a credit card at the current international exchange rate, or if you plan to mail your payment, you may pay with a money order or check payable in U.S. funds drawn on a U.S. bank. GSA is not able to accept payments in foreign currency at this time; we apologize for any inconvenience. If you would like information on preparing for electronic transfer of funds, please contact GSA Sales and Service, .
- How do I buy additional products, such as journals or membership in Sections or Divisions?
- > If you are joining GSA for the first time or renewing your membership, you can subscribe to any product using the Renewal Form or New Member Application.
> If you are already a member and wish to add additional items to your membership such as journals, Divisions or Sections, please visit our online Store.
- What is my member ID?
- Click this link and your membership number will be emailed to the email address we have on file with you. Otherwise, you may contact GSA Sales and Service, .
- How can I get a receipt for my dues payment?
- When you join or renew, you will receive an email receipt usually within 48 hours. If at any other time you would like a receipt, please contact GSA Sales and Service, .
- How do I opt out of emails, advertising, or all or part of the member directory?
- Please contact GSA Sales and Service, .
- Are my dues or GSA Foundation contributions tax-deductible in the U.S.?
- Membership dues are not deductible as charitable contributions. However, your dues may be deductible as a business or other itemized expense. Please consult your tax advisor. Your contributions to the GSA Foundation are tax deductible in the U.S.
- How do I obtain a GSA membership card or certificate?
- As part of our mission to be good stewards of the earth, we do not automatically send GSA membership certificates upon joining. If you would like a certificate or replacement membership card, please email, .
- How do I register for a meeting?
- If the meeting is open for registration, there will be a direct link from the home page for that meeting. Just click on the meeting you wish to attend from our Meetings page.
- You may register online, or download and print the PDF form and mail or fax it to us.
- Who has registered for a conference?
- You can see who's registered on the meeting website by going to Attendee Info > Directory. This will only work once the registration period has opened.
- Note that this information is solely for the convenience of our meeting participants and should not be used for any other purpose.
- [ go to meetings listings ]
- Where's my order?
- Orders are generally shipped within three business days, either via UPS ground, or US Postal Service. Please contact for more detailed information on your shipment.
- How do I order a publication?
- You may place an order for GSA books, maps, charts, etc., on the GSA Online Store or you may contact GSA Sales & Service via e-mail , phone (1-888-443-4472; or 303-357-1000, option 3).
- How do I subscribe to a periodical?
- Subscription rates for members are substantially less than for institutions or non-member individuals.
- Click here for More periodicals information.
- How do I pay GSA?
- You may pay with a credit card at the current international exchange rate, or if you plan to mail your payment, you may pay with a money order or check payable in U.S. funds drawn on a U.S. bank. GSA is not able to accept payments in foreign currency at this time; we apologize for any inconvenience. If you would like information on preparing for electronic transfer of funds, please contact .
GSA Sales and Service
1-888-443-4472 (toll free)
303-357-1000, option 3