The Bromery Award for the Minorities
The Bromery Award for the Minorities should be given to any minority*, preferably African Americans, who qualify under at least one of these two categories:
- Nominee has made significant contributions to research in the geological sciences, as exemplified by one or more of the following:
- Publications which have had a measurable impact on the geosciences
- Outstanding original contributions or achievements that mark a major advance in the geosciences
- Outstanding lifetime career which demonstrates leadership in geoscience research
- Nominee has been instrumental in opening the geoscience field to other minorities, as exemplified by one or more of the following:
- Demonstrable contributions in teaching or mentoring which have enhanced the professional growth of minority geoscientists
- Outstanding lifetime career service in a role which has highlighted the contributions of minorities in advancing the geosciences
- Authorship of educational materials of high scientific quality that have enjoyed widespread use and acclaim among educators or the general public
- It is encouraged but not required that the nominee be a member of GSA.
- Nominations may be submitted by members of the MWC Committee, by other GSA members, or by the nominee.
- Nomination letter summarizing significant contributions to research in the geological sciences or towards opening the Geoscience field to other minorities.
- Curriculum vitae of nominee
- Letters from three (3) scientists with at least two (2) supporting letters from GSA Fellows or Members and one (1) from a member of another professional Geoscience organization
- Any additional materials which the nominator believes support the nomination
*NOTE: A minority is defined as a member of an ethnic group that is significantly
underrepresented at advanced levels of engineering and science, i.e., African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, Alaskan Natives, and Native Pacific Islanders.
Please send all nomination materials to via email attachments. Digital signatures are not required for any emailed letters.
The deadline for nominations is 1 February.
Contact or call 303-357-1028, with any questions