The Roy J. Shlemon Mentor Program in Applied Geoscience
Students will have the opportunity to discuss career prospects and challenges with professional geoscientists from multiple disciplines over a FREE lunch.
The John Mann Mentors in Applied Hydrogeology Program
Students interested in applied hydrogeology or hydrology as a career will have the opportunity to network with professionals in these fields over a FREE lunch.
On To the Future (OTF)
Stop by the GSA Foundation booth at the Welcome Reception to ask an onsite representative about applying to OTF, which provides travel support to students underrepresented in the geosciences to attend their first GSA Annual Meeting (the next one is 1–4 Nov. 2015 in Baltimore, Maryland, USA).
The Northeastern Section of GSA offers free meeting registration to student volunteers in return for two shifts of ~4 to 5 hours of work at the meeting. The Northeastern Section of GSA will cover meeting registration for student volunteers in return for two shifts of work at the meeting. Students interested in volunteering please contact the Student Volunteer Coordinator, Lee Wilder,
URBAN METROPOLITAN STUDENT TRAVEL GRANT PROGRAM
The NE Urban Metropolitan Travel Grant Program at the Geological Society of America seeks to provide travel support to non-traditional student studying at urban metropolitan universities to attend the 2015 NE Section Meeting.
To be eligible to apply, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be a non-traditional undergraduate currently studying in the geosciences located in an urban area within the NE Section region. This region includes the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and the District of Columbia.
- Demonstrate challenges they have had in accessing and traveling to GSA meetings such as lack of transportation to attend meetings, time and financial constraints associated with caring for dependents, and/or working full-time;
- Demonstrate a commitment to a career path in the geosciences;
- Has never attended a GSA Meeting; and
- Must be a GSA member and a member of the NE GSA Section
Students who meet the criteria above are encouraged to apply for travel support to attend the 2015 NE Section Meeting. Please check back in winter 2014 for the application. Questions, please contact Tahlia Bear, .