CALENDAR OF UPCOMING DEADLINES & EVENTS
Go to GSA's Geoscience Calendar to learn more about the upcoming meetings of GSA Associated Societies and other geoscience organizations.
- 13: GSA Elections begin.
- 16–17: GSA's South-Central Section meets in Dallas, Texas, USA.
- 20: Expressions of interest for the Field Forum, "Structure and Neotectonic Evolution of Northern Owens Valley and the Volcanic Tableland, California," are due via e-mail to David Ferrill, .
- 22–24: GSA's Northeastern Section meets in Portland, Maine, USA.
- 31: Nominations for the John C. Frye Environmental Geology Award are due. Learn more online, or contact GSA Grants, Awards, and Recognition,
- 02: Nominations for the Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division's Don J. Easterbrook Distinguished Scientist Award are due to Marith Reheis,
, USGS, MS980, Federal Center, P.O. Box 25046, Denver, CO 80225-0046, USA; +1-303-277-1843.
- 02: Nominations for the Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division's Farouk El-Baz Award for Desert Research are due to Paul R. Bierman,
, Univ. of Vermont, Dept. of Geology, Delehanty Hall, Burlington, VT 05405-0001, USA; +1-802-656-4411.
- 02–03: GSA's North-Central Section meets in Rockford, Illinois, USA.
- 06: Early registration deadline for the Cordilleran and Rocky Mountain Section Meetings.
- 12: GSA Elections Ballots DUE — Ballots must be postmarked or submitted electronically by this date.
- 20: Applications due for the Penrose Conference, "Low δ18O rhyolites and crustal melting: Growth and redistribution of the continental crust," in Twin Falls, Idaho, and Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA, on 9–13 Sept. 2009.
- 01: Applications due for the Penrose Conference, "Tectonic Development of the Amerasian Basin," on 4–9 October 2009 at the Banff Centre, Alberta, Canada.
- 01: Applications for the History of Geology Student Award are due. Learn more online or contact Jane P. Davidson, .
- 04: Deposit due for the GSA GeoVentures trip for everyone, Geology of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, Idaho, running 29 Aug.–4 Sept. 2009.
- 07–09: GSA's Cordilleran Section meets in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada.
- 11–13: GSA's Rocky Mountain Section meets in Orem, Utah, USA.
- 11–15: Penrose Conference, "Plumes and Their Role in Whole Mantle Convection and Recycling," convenes in Pico, the Azores.
- 23: Space request deadline for the 2009 GSA Annual Meeting & Exposition in Portland, Oregon, USA.
- 26–06 July: GeoVentures teacher trip, Galápagos Islands—A Place Born of Fire, convenes in the Galápagos Archipelago.
- 5–11: GSA GeoVentures trip, Hawaii—The Big Island: Living on an active hot spot volcano, which is open only to elementary, middle, and high-school teachers, convenes on the "The Big Island," Hawaii, USA.
- 18–29: GSA GeoVentures trip, Australian Earth Adventure: Earth Science and Technology, which is open only to elementary, middle, and high-school teachers, meets in Australia via connection at Los Angeles International Airport.
- 31–10 Aug.: This GSA GeoVentures trip, Geology of the Galápagos Islands, provides everyone the chance to visit the Galápagos Archipelago and learn more about the geology of this "place born of fire."
- 10: Application deadline for GSA's Limnogeology Division's Kerry Kelts Research Awards. Up to three awards of US$400 each for use in research related to limnogeology, limnology, and paleolimnology are available. To apply, send a summary of the proposed research, its significance, and how the award will be used in PDF format (five-pages max.) along with your name and a short CV (two-pages max.) to the chair of the Limnogeology Division, Michael Rosen,
- 11: Last day to submit abstracts for the 2009 GSA Annual Meeting & Exposition in Portland, Oregon, USA.
- 29–4 Sept.: Everyone is invited to explore the Geology of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, Idaho. This GSA GeoVenture is a fully outfitted expedition down this class IV portion of the Salmon River. A deposit is due by 4 May, and the balance is due by 2 June.
- 09–13: Penrose Conference, "Low δ18O rhyolites and crustal melting: Growth and redistribution of the continental crust," convenes in Twin Falls, Idaho, with a field trip to Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA.
- 13–19: Field Forum, "Structure and Neotectonic Evolution of Northern Owens Valley and the Volcanic Tableland, California," convenes in Bishop, California, USA.
- 14: Last date for early registration and housing requests at the 2009 GSA Annual Meeting & Exposition in Portland, Oregon, USA.
- 21: Registration cancellation deadline for the 2009 GSA Annual Meeting & Exposition.