CALENDAR OF UPCOMING DEADLINES & EVENTS
Go to GSA's Geoscience Calendar to learn more about the upcoming meetings of GSA Associated Societies and other geoscience organizations.
- 28: Nominations for the Coal Geology Division's Gilbert H. Cady Award are due. Send three copies of nomination materials to Glen Stracher,
, East Georgia College, Div. of Science & Mathematics, 131 College Circle, Swainsboro, GA 30401-3643, USA; +1-478-289-2073.
- 02: Early registration deadline for the North-Central Section Meeting.
- 04: Applications to attend the Penrose Conference, "Plumes and Their Role in Whole Mantle Convection and Recycling," on 11–15 May 2009 in Pico, the Azores, are due.
- 12–13: GSA's Southeastern Section meets in St. Petersburg, Florida, USA.
- 13: GSA Elections begin. Learn more in the January issue of GSA Today.
- 16–17: GSA's South-Central Section meets in Dallas, Texas, USA.
- 20: Expressions of interest for the Field Forum, "Structure and Neotectonic Evolution of Northern Owens Valley and the Volcanic Tableland, California," are due via e-mail to David Ferrill, .
- 22–24: GSA's Northeastern Section meets in Portland, Maine, USA.
- 31: Nominations for the John C. Frye Environmental Geology Award are due. Learn more online, or contact GSA Grants, Awards, and Recognition,
Reservations are now being accepted for the GSA GeoVentures "Geology of the Galapagos Islands" trip for everyone, running 31 July–10 Aug.
- 02: Nominations for the Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division's Don J. Easterbrook Distinguished Scientist Award and Farouk El-Baz Award for Desert Research are due. Send nominations for the Easterbrook award to Marith Reheis,
, USGS, MS980, Federal Center, P.O. Box 25046, Denver, CO 80225-0046, USA; +1-303-277-1843. Nominations for the El-Baz award should go to Paul R. Bierman, , Univ. of Vermont, Dept. of Geology, Delehanty Hall, Burlington, VT 05405-0001, USA; +1-802-656-4411.
- 02–03: GSA's North-Central Section meets in Rockford, Illinois, USA.
- 06: Early registration deadline for the Cordilleran and Rocky Mountain Section Meetings.
- 12: GSA Elections—Ballots must be postmarked or submitted electronically by this date. Learn more in the January issue of GSA Today.
- 20: Applications due for the Penrose Conference, "Low δ18O rhyolites and crustal melting: Growth and redistribution of the continental crust," in Twin Falls, Idaho, and Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA, on 9–13 Sept. 2009.
- 01: Applications to attend the Penrose Conference, "Tectonic Development of the Amerasian Basin," on 4–9 October 2009 at the Banff Centre, Alberta, Canada, are due to Victoria Pease or Lawrence Lawver.
- 01: Applications for the History of Geology Student Award are due. Learn more online or contact Jane P. Davidson, .
- 04: Deposit due for the GSA GeoVentures trip for everyone, Geology of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, Idaho, running 29 Aug.–4 Sept. 2009.
- 07–09: GSA's Cordilleran Section meets in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada.
- 11–13: GSA's Rocky Mountain Section meets in Orem, Utah, USA.
- 11–15: Penrose Conference, "Plumes and Their Role in Whole Mantle Convection and Recycling," in Pico, the Azores.
- 26: Last day to sign up for the GSA GeoVentures teacher trip, Galapagos Islands—A Place Born of Fire, running 26 June–6 July 2009.