CALENDAR OF UPCOMING DEADLINES & EVENTS
Go to GSA's Geoscience Calendar to learn more about the upcoming meetings of GSA Associated Societies and other geoscience organizations.
- 01: Nominations due for GSA’s Medals and Awards and GSA Fellowship, as well as the 2009 National Awards.
- 01: Complete Student Research Grant applications must be received at GSA by 11:59 p.m. MST.
- 01: Post-doctoral fellowships: Applications for the Gladys W. Cole Memorial Research Award and W. Storrs Cole Memorial Research Award, for GSA members between the ages of 30–65, are due.
- 01: Nominations for the Geoscience Education Division’s Biggs Award for Excellence in Earth Science Teaching are due to Paul Baldauf, , Nova Southeastern University, Math, Science, and Technology Division, 3301 College Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, USA, email@example.com.
- 01: Nominations for the History of Geology Division’s Mary C. Rabbitt History of Geology Award are due to Stephen M. Rowland, , University of Nevada, Dept. of Geoscience, Box 454010, Las Vegas, NV 89154-4010, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 01: Last day to apply for the 2009–2010 Congressional Science Fellowship.
- 09: Early registration deadline for the Southeastern and South-Central Section Meetings.
- 15: Nominations for the Geophysics Division’s George P. Woollard Award are due online.
- 15: Applications for the Coal Geology Division’s Antoinette Lierman Medlin Scholarship are due to Jack C. Pashin, , Geol. Survey of Alabama, P.O. Box 869999, Tuscaloosa, AL 35486, USA; fax: +1-205-349-2852.
- 17: Early registration deadline for the Northeastern Section Meeting.
- 20: Nominations for the Sedimentary Division’s Laurence L. Sloss Award for Sedimentary Geology are due by e-mail to Paul Link,
- 28: Nominations for the Coal Geology Division’s Gilbert H. Cady Award are due. Send three copies of nomination materials to Glen Stracher, , East Georgia College, Div. of Science & Mathematics, 131 College Circle, Swainsboro, GA 30401-3643, USA; +1-478-289-2073.
- 02: Early registration deadline for the North-Central Section Meeting.
- 04: Applications to attend the Penrose Conference, "Plumes and Their Role in Whole Mantle Convection and Recycling," on 11–15 May 2009 in Pico, the Azores, are due.
- 12–13: GSA’s Southeastern Section meets in St. Petersburg, Florida, USA.
- 13: GSA Elections begin. Learn more in the January issue of GSA Today.
- 16–17: GSA’s South-Central Section meets in Dallas, Texas, USA.
- 20: Expressions of interest for the Field Forum, "Structure and Neotectonic Evolution of Northern Owens Valley and the Volcanic Tableland, California," are due via e-mail to David Ferrill, .
- 22–24: GSA’s Northeastern Section meets in Portland, Maine, USA.
- 31: Nominations for the John C. Frye Environmental Geology Award are due. Learn more online, or contact GSA Grants, Awards, and Recognition,
- 02: Nominations for the Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division’s Don J. Easterbrook Distinguished Scientist Award and Farouk El-Baz Award for Desert Research are due. Send nominations for the Easterbrook award to Marith Reheis,
, USGS, MS980, Federal Center, P.O. Box 25046, Denver, CO 80225-0046, USA; +1-303-277-1843. Nominations for the El-Baz award should go to Paul R. Bierman, , Univ. of Vermont, Dept. of Geology, Delehanty Hall, Burlington, VT 05405-0001, USA; +1-802-656-4411.
- 2–3: GSA’s North-Central Section meets in Rockford, Illinois, USA.
- 06: Early registration deadline for the Cordilleran and Rocky Mountain Section Meetings.
- 12: GSA Elections—Ballots must be postmarked or submitted electronically by this date. Learn more in the January issue of GSA Today.
- 20: Applications to attend the Penrose Conference, "Low δ18O rhyolites and crustal melting: Growth and redistribution of the continental crust," on 9–13 Sept. 2009 in Twin Falls, Idaho, and Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA, are due.
- 01: Applications to attend the Penrose Conference, “Tectonic Development of the Amerasian Basin,” on 4–9 October 2009 at the Banff Centre, Alberta, Canada, are due to Victoria Pease or Lawrence Lawver.
- 01: Applications for the History of Geology Student Award are due. Learn more online or contact Jane P. Davidson, .
- 7–9: GSA’s Cordilleran Section meets in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada.
- 11–13: GSA’s Rocky Mountain Section meets in Orem, Utah, USA.
- 11–15: Penrose Conference, “Plumes and Their Role in Whole Mantle Convection and Recycling,” in Pico, the Azores.
- 26: Last day to sign up for the GSA GeoVentures “Galapagos Islands—A Place Born of Fire” teacher trip running 26 June–6 July 2009.