The Geological Society of America (GSA) (a non-profit organization) seeks a fulltime Education and Outreach Program Coordinator for their Boulder, Colorado headquarters. This position primarily supports GSA’s role in the GeoCorps America and National Park Service Geoscientists-In-the-Parks (GIP) programs, and other GSA education programs as needed.
This person will provide assistance in support of GeoCorps and GIP, including management of program and participant records, recruiting, and coordinating participant placement, start up and close out procedures. They will answer questions from the GeoCorps and GIP participants, and act as main point of contact for GSA Staffing Partners. The ideal candidate will be familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within geosciences, and best practice for work experience programs. A high degree of creativity and latitude is required.
- Serves as the primary contact person for GeoCorps & GIP applicants, participants, alumni, and the GeoCorps & GIP staffing partners; maintains communication with other GeoCorps & GIP partners as required.
- Distributes, processes, and monitors all GeoCorps participant enrollment documents.
- Provides feedback and guidance to applicants and participants, through handbooks and other documents, e-mail and phone, regarding GeoCorps & GIP applications, and other career related topics.
- Plans, implements, monitors, and analyzes GeoCorps evaluation materials, and supports evaluation planning and implementation of other departmental programs.
- Develops and manages the GeoCorps & GIP database for tracking key program information.
- Manages creation and transfer of seasonal project initiation documents from GSA to GeoCorps staffing partner; works with agency partners to ensure accuracy and reflect changes.
- Manages and tracks participant hours vis-a-vie GeoCorps staffing partner invoicing. works with the staffing partner to ensure accuracy.
- Develops and manages reports that inform accounting processes, such as invoicing agency partners, and annual audit
- Develops marketing materials (e.g., brochures, pamphlets, web-pages).
- Produces GeoCorps Annual Report, and reports for partners and donors as needed.
- Uses social media and other communications tools to conduct GeoCorps & GIP recruiting, with special attention given to recruiting from diverse populations.
- Works with agency mentors to understand recruiting needs and assists in development of plans for project extensions.
- Supports the growth and quality of the GeoCorps & GIP programs by facilitating opportunities for participant and GSA member engagement (at Annual Meetings and as opportunities arise).
- Conducts research and planning for special projects aimed at addressing new program concerns, and enhancing the GeoCorps program over all.
- Additional GeoCorps & GIP duties as assigned. Also assists with research grants administration, EarthCache, and GeoTeachers programs as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Does not supervise others.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- Requires an undergraduate degree in geosciences (or a related subject) with 2-4 years of experience in geosciences (or a related subject).
- Detailed oriented.
- Demonstrates superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Displays mature judgement in dealing with sensitive issues, diverse customers and partners, and social media communications.
- Proficient with MS Office including a minimum five years’ experience with spreadsheets, database management (MS Access), and word processing.
- Facility with Facebook and other social media applications.
- Team-oriented but is also a self-starter.
- Thorough understanding of accounting practices (bookkeeping, invoicing, etc.)
- Background in the geosciences (or a related subject) preferred.
- Familiarity with public lands in the U.S. (National Parks, National Forests, BLM areas, etc.) preferred.
- Familiarity or experience working with other scientific organizations a plus, particularly those that represent diverse populations, such as NABG (National Association of Black Geoscientists), SACNAS (Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science), and AISES (American Indian Science and Engineering Society).
Working Environment/Physical Activities
- Repetitive hand motions, prolonged use of computer (more than 4 hours at a time).
- Some travel may be required
GSA offers a variety of benefits including medical / dental / vision, 403(b) matching, PTO. Salary range for this position is $17.23 to $24.12 / hour depending upon experience.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to HR@geosociety.org.