View Job Description
Graphic Designer and Production Specialist
The Geological Society of America (GSA) (a non-profit organization) seeks a fulltime Graphic Designer and Production Specialist for their Boulder, Colorado headquarters. This position collaboratively designs and produces assigned communications and marketing products including The Geological Society of America (GSA) member magazine, brochures, fact sheets, newsletters, reports, event materials, annual reports, and other products according to organizational standards while meeting deadlines and staying within budget.
The successful completion of projects requires a commitment to high standards of creative and technical quality, the planning and scheduling of tasks, operation of the Adobe creative suite software for design and production for print, presentation, web, and other media.
- Develops graphic design solutions to the organization’s marketing and communications needs in collaboration with other staff as well as to create the production layout, final product quality, timeliness, and distribution of GSA Today.
- Maintains alignment with corporate identity and branding guidelines.
- Researches and obtains photographs, artwork, and illustration to be used and collects complete documentation for usage rights, credits, and caption source material.
- Processes photographs and other visual content for use in marketing and communications products by color correcting or modifying images.
- Prepares page proofs and accurately handles corrections at predetermined steps in the publication process for review and approval by the project manager.
- Produces print specs and secures cost estimates for review and approval.
- Prepares electronic files for printing using methods and techniques suited to specific reproduction processes.
- Performs record keeping of all work, archival of data, and back up procedures.
- Helps manage design and production systems in accordance with established procedures, recommends improvements to procedures and updates and expansion to the systems over time, implements approved improvements and expansions.
- Troubleshoots software and hardware problems.
- Communicates with GSA staff regarding publication projects and status updates.
- Supervises the work of print vendors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree or 3 to 10 years equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 years production experience.
- Demonstrated experience with technology for print and digital graphics and production, including 4-color printing, scanning, and archiving. Print layout, design and creating PDF files..
- Strong organizational, communication, and teamwork skills required.
- Experience using both Macintosh and PC computers preferred. Advanced skills in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat. Familiar with multi-media formats and CD-ROM/DVD production helpful.
- Knowledge of photography and file archiving, transferring, and compressing is helpful.
- Must be flexible with work schedule to meet tight deadlines when necessary.
- Video editing skills a plus.
Working Environment/Physical Activities
- May require some travel.
- Extensive computer work—six or more hours per day—multiple projects and multiple deadlines that create a demanding work environment are standard.
GSA offers a variety of benefits including medical/dental/vision, 403(b) matching, PTO. Salary range for this position is $41,526 - 62,290 (dependent upon experience).
Please submit your cover letter and resume to HR@geosociety.org
EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V