GSA Job Opportunity
Jobs at GSA
Payroll and A/P Specialist
The Geological Society of America (a non-profit organization) seeks a fulltime Payroll and A/P Specialist for their Boulder, Colorado headquarters. This positon is responsible for coordinating and administering all functions related to accounts payable processing, payables approval process and vendor payments in accordance with accounting policies and procedures. The individual will also process bi-weekly payroll through ADP payroll system ensuring accurate, efficient and timely processing of payroll in accordance with departmental and company procedures, policies and state and federal regulations and statutes. The position reports to the Finance Director.
Payroll Specific Responsibilities and Duties
- Review and import timecards into payroll system, transmit payroll to ADP, receive payroll files from ADP; download payroll files into export (post) payroll to the general ledger; prepare journal entries for payroll and payroll accrual entry.
- Establish new hire and termination information received into the payroll system.
- Manage out-of-state employees payroll and associated out-of-state taxes and returns. Coordinate with ADP to ensure registration in states other than Colorado.
- Bi-weekly, administer and process retirement, flexible spending and HSA accounts so vendors receive accurate and timely payment.
- Maintain and update the HSA function in payroll.
- Process Foundation payroll journal entries.
- Coordinate all aspects of payroll between the controller, senior accountant and HR.
- Act as the principal contact for employee or management questions on payroll and PTO information.
- Manage payroll issues.
- Keep an up-to-date in depth knowledge of the ADP system to ensure accuracy related to changing benefits and tax law and the general ledger interface function.
- Maintain accurate payroll files.
- Administer the PTO Cash Out function and maintain the Excel spreadsheet tracking for all employees.
- Stay current with changing benefits and payroll laws.
- Detailed analysis of payroll for annual audit as required by auditors.
- Process accounts payable from review of invoice coding and authorization to processing of vendor payments. Ensure control policies and procedures are followed.
- Maintain accurate accounts payable files.
- Act as the principal contact for employee or management questions on accounts payable information.
- Monthly, reconcile balance sheet accounts for payroll and accounts payable in order to maintain accurate information in the general ledger.
- Process the Medical benefits journal entry to ensure accuracy and timely recording.
- File and maintain central log for all GSA contracts.
- Provide management payroll reports from EZ Labor as requested.
- Provide management and all GSA staff with technical and support and training for EZ Labor.
- Quarterly provide 3rd party sick (short and long term disability) information to the payroll tax service to ensure accurate tax reporting.
- Annually, perform year-end payroll and accounts payable duties including processing of W2s and 1099s that includes coordination/management of 1099 contractor/processor.
- Assist in other accounting functions as requested such as inputting journal entries into accounting system.
- Cross train with finance staff on payroll functions and A/P so that it does not shut down in the event of absence.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- A minimum of 4 years’ accounts payable and payroll processing in a professional office required.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience with ADP or a similar payroll system required.
- Working knowledge of automated payroll processing, A/P systems and general ledger accounting.
- Accurate and fast data entry skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Proficient with MS Office(Excel, Word)
- Self-starter and ability to work independently.
- Able to perform routine tasks timely and accurately.
Working Environment/Physical Activities
- Extensive computer work — 6 plus hours per day, multiple projects and deadlines that create a demanding work environment are standard.
GSA offers a variety of benefits including medical / dental / vision, 403(b) matching, PTO. Salary range for this position is $19.77 to $27.68 depending upon experience.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to HR@geosociety.org.
EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V