Before You Arrive to the Annual Meeting
There’s a lot to look forward to before arriving at a GSA Annual Meeting. Please make sure you complete the following steps before arriving:
- Submit an abstract. While presenting your research is not a required part of OTF, it is highly encouraged. The abstract deadline is 14 August 2018.
- Register for the Annual Meeting. Instructions to register are included in your acceptance letter. All short courses and field trips and some events require registration as space is limited. All students must register by the early registration deadline.
- Make your travel arrangements. You are responsible for paying for all your costs up front. Check the GSA Annual Meeting website for information on host hotels. This site also contains information on room sharing at the meeting. If you are seeking additional funding, read through some ideas on how to find additional funding and cost saving tips to help you while at the meeting.
What to Expect at the Annual Meeting
There are many amazing opportunities for students to become engaged in the GSA Annual Meeting. We have organized five special gatherings to help you get the very best experience from the Annual Meeting. We encourage you to plan your meeting experience around these gatherings.
- OTF Gatherings
- Each morning, OTF scholars will gather to hear brief talks by key people about future internship, research, and other opportunities at GSA. It is also a way for OTF scholars to meet new people and to network. Plan to arrive on time. Coffee and a light breakfast will be provided. Please wear the OTF ribbon given to you at registration. See the On To the Future Schedule for a list of required events you should attend.
- OTF Flash Mob
- This is an opportunity for the OTF group to gather at the OTF corner of the GSA Foundation area in the main Exhibit Hall during the Exhibit Hall opening on Sunday. Here you will have the opportunity to meet donors of the OTF program and to mingle with new OTF friends. There will not be any formal talks at the flash mob - but we will try and get a group photo. See the OTF Schedule for time/location.
- GSA Foundation Booth in the Exhibit Hall
- OTF donors have generously donated to the program to help OTF students attend the meeting. Consider volunteering at the GSA Foundation booth in the Exhibit Hall and share your experience in the program with donors. Talking points will be provided but most importantly people want to hear your experience in coming to the Annual Meeting.
- Diversity in the Geosciences and OTF Alumni Reception
- If you are a current OTF student or if you have received an OTF award in the past, please join this reception. All current OTF students will be recognized. See the Annual Meeting website for details.
Before You Leave
There are a couple of important things you must do before you leave the Annual Meeting.
- Check-In. In order for OTF scholars to receive their scholarship check, all OTF scholars must check in at the Annual Meeting office to confirm your mailing address.
- Complete an Evaluation. Make sure you complete the OTF Evaluation and let us know what you like to see improved for the next cohort of students.
- Complete your OTF report.
For questions or concerns please contact Tahlia Bear, .