Application deadline has passed
Minority Student Scholarship Program
The Minority Student Scholarship is granted to six undergraduate students who demonstrate a commitment to the geosciences. Qualified applicants must be a U.S. Citizen studying at an accredited university or college in one of GSA’s six regional sections (including Canada and Mexico). The funds are to be used to purchase text books, pay college fees, or attend GSA field trips or conferences.
In addition to a cash award, students will also receive complimentary GSA student membership and meeting registration for this year’s GSA Annual Meeting & Exposition, where a student awards reception will be held.
||Aquivo Lowen-Diaz, Santa Barbara City College
||Jessica Mckay, Northern Illinois University
|Jessica Whiteaker, Southern Illinois University
||Sean Thatcher, The City University of New York College of Staten Island
||Stephanie E. Suarez, University of Texas at Austin
||Jared Hopkins, Georgia State University
Student Application Requirements
- Be a U.S. citizen and a member of a minority group;
- Has taken at least two (2) introductory geoscience courses;
- Be enrolled in additional geoscience courses in the upcoming academic year; and
- Be a current undergraduate student member of GSA.
Application and Timeline
- Submit a completed online application form, and all letters of recommendation, emailed directly to email@example.com no later than the deadline.
- Uploaded a copy of your unofficial transcript.
- Uploaded a copy of your fall 2018 schedule.
- Confirm with the student that he/she is a member of a minority group.
- Verify that the student has completed two introductory geoscience courses and is enrolled in geosciences classes for the upcoming academic year.
- Nominations will be forwarded to the GSA Diversity in the Geosciences Committee for review.